Thursday, October 14, 2010

Three Weeks...

Communication is complex. Once we start to weigh group dynamics, our human tendencies, and the barrage of information that we have become adept at ignoring, the idea of brokering communication that will grab the attention of our peers is a tall order. What has become apparent to me over the last three weeks are some of my tendencies and shortcuts. My belief has always been that some of my best communication is through electronic means. However, it is now apparent that while this may be my most efficient technique, it is clearly not always best. To take a page from the Heath’s, maybe this efficiency is in direct contrast to my company’s core message. (The message has not been clearly defined, by the way.)
At work each morning I log onto my workstation, launch outlook, pidgin, (IM client, www.pidgin.com) the customer/process management system (connectwise) and Kaseya (client asset management system). These tools combine to create an environment akin to the Borg Collective. The past three weeks have taught me to question these processes and apply some thought to my choice of communication when going about my daily tasks.
For example, I recently kicked off a new project for a new client. In the past I would handle the communication strategy purely through email. For this project though I have chosen a more personal communication strategy including weekly conference calls and onsite visits. Even though the project is only a couple weeks in I am seeing an increase in rapport with the key stakeholders, this is resulting in a more relaxed atmosphere for the project team and better decision making.

11 comments:

  1. I think people have become so accustomed to dealing with clients and vendors via email that it becomes refreshing when people acutally pick up a phone or stop by the office to visit. Good post- I liked the way you related it to the material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good connection between class and the real world reality. As you noted, I think if you can combine technology with the personal touch it can really help with the overall communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was a great insite to the reality that there are times when physical presence and personal (voice in this case) communications build faster relationship trust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that you have been able to take class material and use it to have a paradigm shift in your work approach. I have always favored in person communication, when possible, to communication via emails. I feel some of what you say can be lost in context over the web.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that voice or personal communication is more effective than email. It is nice to see that the class can translate directly to your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to how we put up an invisible filter and block out information that we deem unimportant (especially when it's email.) I wonder if there will be a drastic change in communication style effectiveness for future generations. Those who are going through school today may have different communication skills (e.g. interpreting text messages) where todays workforce does not possess those skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think pidgin is a good idea based upon the popularity of IM in recent years. One thing I have noticed is that wtih the increase of facebook, a large majority of IM'ing has stopped. AIM which was extremely popular when I was in college in 2006 is essentially obsolete now. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a point when you mention that electronic communication is not always the best. Depending on the situation, a personal approach may seem more effective. It also depends on the type of company you work for and what they expect of you. Good insights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you have raised a great point that with so many choices of communication out there it is a good idea to step back and try to choose the most effective one. At my desk, I can choose about 4 ways to send an IM and sometimes the recipient is puzzled if I pick a different one than before since my sender information is different for each.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post. Developing a personal connection within the workplace has definitely become an issue with the technology. Good to see a personal touch being put into action

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice results from using a different medium for communicating. Because e-mail is everywhere, we tend to overuse it. Communication suffers as a result.

    ReplyDelete